Thursday, March 6, 2008

Why Girl Scouts matter

Already, only few days into my Africa journey, I ask myself: Now why did I fly up and out after Brownies?

I was initiated into Girl Scouts in the late 1960s, but for some reason after the ceremony where you look into the water, which is really a mirror, I took my prissy self home and said I was done. I got interested instead in fashion, Tiger Beat, Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy, not tying knots, orienteering and earning badges for firestarting. I figured I'd had enough training after having crafted my "sit-upon" out of old newspapers at one Brownies meeting and singing the Indian (now Native American) song, "Hi-ya! Hi-ya, ipsi ni-yah!" around a fake campfire in a Sunday School room at the Lutheran church where our troop met.

Any Girl Scout wouldn't have made the mistake I did yesterday. I was walking from Riverwalk shopping center (did I mention free wireless?), along a major highway, past people waiting for public transportation -- mini-buses called combis. The only vegetation in sight along my side of the road was one beautiful tree with feathery green leaves. I ducked under its branches to pass. Next thing I knew I was living a horror flick. That tree had thorns -- no kidding -- four inches long, shaped like Freddy Kruger's fingernails. They grabbed my white shirt and wouldn't let go. The more I moved, the bigger the holes being poked in my shirt -- and my right arm. It was as if I was getting that smallpox vaccine all over again. Those people in the combi line must have been laughing. I was jumping around -- ouch ouch -- and tearing my newly pressed cotton shirt. When I finally freed myself, I hung my head and walked on, rubbing my arm, humiliated again at my lack of wilderness skills. When I got home I inspected what was a nasty bruise and puncture wound. I showed it to Puni. "Do you think I'm going to die from this? Are those trees poisonous?"

She laughed at me. Obviously, she thinks I will be fine. Then she offered me some advice. Don't step in elephant dung. Elephants eat those trees and the thorns show up in the dung. Why -- those thorns will shoot right up through your foot if you step in it! Very dangerous!

Great. Another thing to worry about in the outdoors.
I bet Girl Scouts know which trees to avoid and don't have to be reminded not to step in elephant dung. But not dropouts. Oh, no, not dropouts. Hi-ya. Hi-ya. Ipsi-ni-yah.
Oh, well.
Since I'm at the mall I'm thinking of going shopping for girly-girl stuff. It looks awfully safe in there.

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.