Tuesday, March 25, 2008

TB patients on the lam

I see that the New York Times is reporting today on TB patients being locked up in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The patients have a drug-resistant strain and have been put in hospitals surrounded by razor wire, but the patients have been breaking out of what they consider a prison to go visit their families.
This is not news I'm seeing in the Botswana press. But it does explain a lengthy television ad about tuberculosis that aired yesterday on the SABC television station we get in Gabs. It went on about how people should be tested and they could be cured if they have the disease.
What caught my attention was the odd announcement at the end, which said that the only thing that spreads faster than TB is "a positive attitude." Quite a juxtaposition.

1 comment:

sgarcia said...

So good to see that the people of Africa appreciate the musical majesty of ABBA! Thinking of you on your magical journey while working in the "maze" of the ER. SGarcia

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.