Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tiaras across the planet

Tuesday

During my “office hours” at the University of Botswana yesterday, a writer for the student newspaper came looking for my help. She came to the right place.

She plans a story for the next edition about Miss Intervarsity, the winner of a beauty contest that coincided with a recent whiz-bang intervarsity competition among college athletes from Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland. How would she write this profile? What questions should she ask? I shot answers at her rapid-fire. This topic I knew, having been a game but gullible reporter in the pageant oeuvre from Hot Springs to Atlantic City.

Seeing how history repeats itself, I must note that the beauty pageant theme comes round and round for me. My first out-of-town assignment as a college intern was to travel from Little Rock to Hot Springs, Arkansas, one hour away, to cover the Miss Arkansas pageant. I had an expense account to supplement my Arkansas Democrat newspaper wages of about $3.35 an hour and checked into a fancy hotel. I was frantic about not screwing up. This was a big deal, what with the rampant pageant mania in the South, where tots start wearing plastic tiaras at shopping mall pageants at around the age of 2 or 3 and grow up to be surrounded by an entourage of dressmakers, posture perfecters and makeup deliverers known in the biz as “pageant people.” Mine was sure to be a front-page story. I was so nervous I ended up with a case of heartburn that landed me in a doctor’s office.

Wide-eyed throughout the whole event, I went about my duties with all the seriousness of a war correspondent, preparing my dispatch to enlighten our readers with the remarkable tales of these girls, uh, women. I filed my copy. Nothing terrible went wrong that I know of. But I do remember some years later being deflated when I saw that the winner who had told me with great sincerity – and whom I had quoted with sincere admiration --that she intended to become a corporate lawyer had instead wound up in the tabloids as one of Bill Clinton’s paramours and was living in Paris, as if in gilded exile. She hadn’t become a corporate lawyer. She was an actress of little note and, as Clintonian fate would have it, a historical footnote.
First lesson for a cub reporter: Not all beauty pageant contestants really want world peace even though they say so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Maria, I got your blog spot from Sandy!! Now I cannot wait to read them. I know you are doing well and I will touch base here later tonight after I read all of this. Can't wait. I am taking my computer to bed to read in bed....new thing here. Love you!!!

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.