Wednesday, March 12, 2008

This and that

Here is my favorite sign so far at Malapo Crossing:
Elegance R Us
To get it precisely right, turn the R backwards. If I could I would type it in its full glory.

****

Sechele Sechele loved hearing the moth story. But he did a verbal double-take when I told him how I had found it in a book in South Africa, its identity finally revealed. It was a blue pansy moth, I told him, indigenous only to southern Africa.
He practically shrieked.
"Blue Panty Moth?!" he asked.
Not exactly.

****

Tuesday I was supposed to drop in on the environmental and business reporting class to talk about the profiles the students wrote about me and discuss areas they had deemed problematic: writing leads, structuring stories, choosing quotes, finding a focus. Wanja Njugana, head of the print journalism side of the media studies department, is teaching four classes this semester, advising the one-year-old student newspaper, the UB Horizon, and trying to handle life as a single mom. Her hands are full. She is stressed. I shouldn't be surprised then that she dropped in and out of the class and left me to wing it on Tuesday.
But the start was inauspicious. Remember how I mentioned "wobbly student desks?"
I walked into the classroom and put my backpack on one of those desks near the front of the room and the whole desk collapsed. The wooden part became like a flying kitchen chopping board and then fell in a direct karate chop onto the toes of my right foot. For Pete's sake, do I have to do the pain dance every day in this country? I taught most of the class sitting down and I wondered whether the toes had broken.
Apparently not. At least I'm going to guess not. I hobbled home, acting like the geezer I called myself just the other day.
But the lesson is whenever you see a well-equipped university or classroom, be thankful. UB has some serious challenges, the furniture among them. The worst? The media studies department had only $2,000 this year for books. Next year's budget offers exactly $0.

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.