Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The funk lives!

Those of you who have known me since college remember how I loved the funk.( Why, I was founding mother of the Funk Band, for Pete's sake.) Cameo. Luther Vandross. Earth Wind & Fire. Rick James (my journalist friends are now making a collective gagging sound. I hear you.) And who can forget the road trip to Greensboro to see Teddy Pendergrass, where women were falling into faints when he bent down and caressed that microphone and sang, "Turn out the lights..." ? Yep, my friends and I were there. Not many white girls in the house, but we were there, although we didn't scream, "Teddy! Teddy! Take me, Teddy!" Well, maybe we did.
Anyway, college pals will be happy to know that Teddy is big in Botswana. Ain't no oldies' thing here, either. He seems to be playing on the radio or in hotel lobbies wherever I go. I had to share that with Ernest this morning. He had Teddy going full blast on the radio as he drove me to the Riverwalk, to the Equatorial coffee shop, blessed home of free wireless Internet. I'm going to take advantage of that free wireless while I can and flood your computers with blog entries. Then it's lights out when I'm back in the Delta.

Ernest, by the way, yelled out at his cab buddy through the window yesterday that I'm his best customer. I call Ernest my main man. And we laugh all the way to the coffee shop and home from the University of Botswana.
Today, I begin teaching....

1 comment:

HM2Beast said...

Maria,

You were into funk before it was funk. I remember as kids we pretended to be in a band in Brad's room on his drums. Keep in touch when you can.

Your cousin,
Rob Crouch

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.