Saturday, October 25, 2008

Scenes from South Africa




You'll see the cable car we took up to Table Mountain, lucky for us, on a crystal blue day with little wind.

More yachts. Good life.

And while the economic downturn has everyone across the pond in a panic, the dollar is growing stronger by the day here. Whatever the state of the world's economy, mama duck has a job to do at Kirstenbosch Gardens and is handling the turn of events just fine, thank you very much.

Wish I had a photo from WIZARDZ Internet cafe in the all-too-familiar Waterfront mall where I might as well have plopped down my sleeping bag, considering the time I spent there. It was here that I embarked on the the grand process of trying to fax portions of my 48-page ballot to the Sacramento County elections office. It was an ordeal. Thanks to Dan and Stuart for helping me out last month, and to elections official Diane for answering my many questions about completing my civic duty from abroad. If the fax made it, my vote for U.S. president is in! Let the confetti drop. From this salubrious spot on the globe, the world is ready for change.

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.