Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bush news

Oct. 9, 2008
Maun, Botswana

Nothing like news from the wild to make your hair stand up. Around town I heard that Fani, a groundsman/mechanic who used to switch on the lodge generator in the morning and walk me to the office when I was on early-morning duty, had a chilling encounter the other day at Savute. He got to the generator room around 5 a.m. and found the door ajar. Oops. It had not been shut tight the night before. Fani walked in and disturbed a guest. A leopard had slipped in to drink the droplets of water behind the generator and had apparently slept there all night. Fani woke him up -- and how! The leopard jumped up, soared over the generator and onto Fani's back, which he used as a springboard to leap out the door. Fani was unhurt, thank goodness. The word is it's a tossup who was more frightened: the leopard or the groundsman.

This happened, I think, the same week the Savute crowd had to wrestle with how to remove a struggling impala that fell into the swimming pool and got stuck. When I tell you it's dry out there this time of year, I mean it.

Even before I left in August, one of the managers looked out the window of her little house (and behind the one where I stayed) to discover a noisy, massive shape nearby. It was a male lion up on his haunches and gulping water from the stone birdbath. We all checked his tracks that morning, and I can assure you they were seriously monstrous in size.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fani must have an angel sitting on his shoulder, he was very luck not to get hurt, especially with a cornered leopard.

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.