Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Botswana makes the news

Grootbos, South Africa
October 28, 2008

I meant to mention this last week, but I guess I was in such a shopping frenzy it slipped my mind. The Cape Times had an article with a London dateline describing how Festus Mogae, Botswana's president from 1998 until the end of March, won the 2008 Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership. He'll receive $5 million over 10 years and $200,000 a year for life after that. The foundation created by Mo Ibrahim, who founded Celtel International in Africa and got rich beyond words, selected Mogae for his leadership on health and economic issues. In its second year, the prize recognizes and promotes good governance in Africa.

"Botswana is the world's largest producer of diamonds, and Mogae drove a campaign to ensure Botswana benefited more from its mineral wealth -- venturing into cutting and polishing diamonds instead of just exporting uncut stones and leaving most of the profit-taking to foreigners," according to the article. "Mogae also received widespread praise for tackling Botswana's high HIV/AIDS infection rates. He has taken an AIDS test publicly and addressed the issue in almost every one of his speeches. Life-saving anti-retroviral drugs are known locally as 'Mogae's tablets.'"

When I first arrived in Botswana, Mogae was on his village-to-village tour to say goodbye and accept the thanks of the people. I found it an other-worldly notion, this presidential goodbye and goodwill tour, but it works in Botswana, where people showed up with gifts of goats and the all-important cows. The citizens of Botswana truly like their presidents.

The new one, Seretse Khama Ian Khama, son of Botswana's first president, Sir Seretse Khama, certainly impressed me a few months ago. Even though in my bush life I have been radically unplugged from most of the news of the world, my Botswana friends in the bush kept my apprised of some of what they heard on Radio Botswana. Khama made a courageous stand for freedom and democracy after the June vote in Zimbabwe. He alone on the continent refused to recognize Mugabe as Zimbabwe's president. That seemed to make the people of Botswana all the prouder of their leader.



I can imagine this latest news about Mogae has had similar effect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
I'm catching up on your life, finally. What an exhilarating year you're having. I'm so proud of you for having the courage to venture forth. Life is good in Montana. all the world is ready to celebrate Obama's coronation. I was a precinct captain for him during the primary (a strange feeling to be on the other side of the fence.) Send me your email when you get a chance..!
Much love, Carol

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.