Friday, October 31, 2008

More photos from the Cape







Here's the farm where I stayed in Groosbot, in the Overberg. I don't have a photo of him, but I met Marc Weiner working in the Bodhi Khaya office, and he and I had a conversation about our love for Botswana. He said he used to work there in the mid-90s in the Okavango Delta, his favorite region of all. You can imagine my surprise in finding a true bush guy, complete with Crocodile Dundee hat, at a meditation retreat in the coastal farmlands. He didn't think I would know the place he once lived.

Camp Okavango, he said.

My assignment in May was Camp Okavango, I told him.

Marc couldn't believe it.

"Do you know Obie?" he asked.

He's one of my best friends in Botswana! I was helping him out at Xugana three weeks ago.

Marc and I wrote a note, and he enclosed a photograph of himself in an envelope I placed into the Xugana mail bag, headed out by bush plane today. How can a continent this vast bring people together in such coincidences? With that little card Marc was able to catch up Obie on his life's meanderings for the past decade and to ask about Obie.
Thus two friends, one a white South African, the other a black Motswana, were reconnected.

Maybe, as though emitting an untold signal, we kindred spirits are drawn to each other by our love of the delta. We recognize each other before we know it.

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.