Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hair it is




Oct. 21, 2008
Cape Town, South Africa

Have you ever seen "Girls Gone Wild?"
Neither have I.
But the title alone quite fits my foray into Cape Town, my escape from 43 degrees Celsius heat in Maun.
I met my Sacramento Bee friend Kelly Swift here on Saturday. She left Kendwa Beach in Zanzibar after about 6 weeks hanging out and diving. I've been in and out of the Botswana bush, where it is brutally dry and hot. This was a quick getaway before Kelly heads to the orphanage for volunteer work and I go back into Botswana to host my friend Sandy Garcia coming to visit from Austin, Texas, and to head out to a bush camp as a volunteer with Wilderness Safaris' nonprofit Children in The Wilderness.
Since we arrived Kelly and I have romped through the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront shopping mall like two teenagers. I haven't been this excited about shopping since I was 16 and working at Ivey's in North Hills in Raleigh, N.C. It's totally out of line. We're trying on Jimmy Choo shoes. We're looking in the windows at Gucci. We're drinking Cape red wines. We're dining on sushi and fantastic Southern Indian food at Masala Dosa on Long Street....You name the girly extravagance, and we're on board.

Yesterday we had our hair cut and colored. I suffered the ignominy of the receptionist saying to me about my boxed color jobs from the Okavango Pharmacy, "Oh, that explains your hair's strange color." The way they handled my hair was worthy of an ER room, in triage. Several times Claudette my wonderful stylist explained the sorry condition of my hair by referring to the "boxed color." Well, you try living and shopping in Maun for beauty products, sister. Not an easy spot. At any rate, the hair looks fabulous. The city life is a welcome break from the bush. And today it's head to toe polish at a spa. Girls gone wild....One of these days we'll see the sights of Cape Town. But not today.

1 comment:

Jena said...

Girlfriend! I should have figured that you'd manage a spa day at some point in your adventures! I think of you when I'm up at the Crossings trying to regain my always elusive sense of balance in this crazy world. Missing you very much, indeed. The Cove has become an even hotter bed of infighting and paranoia. You'd get a big hoot out of it. All's well with Caroline and with teaching, which I enjoy enormously. Looking forward to seeing you when you're our way again. Love, Jena

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.