Monday, July 28, 2008

Parallel universes

A week ago I planned to write about one of the most intriguing guests I met during my time at the DDS lodges. On the day there would be an attack at the property where I live in Maun, out in Savute Paul Berg was telling me jokes --he spent two years as a stand-up comic -- and piquing my interest in his profession as a forensics psychologist. The trials for the Unabomber, the Oklahoma City defendants, Rodney King after the riots in Los Angeles: he told me was involved in those cases.

Do you remember the line uttered by Rodney King in 1992, Paul asked: "Can we all get along?"

I told him I did, absolutely; I regarded it as a defining line of the '90s. It was the statement that brought race relations into stark relief in the aftermath of the LA police officers' beating a suspect senseless. A passerby captured the brutality on videotape which aired on national television and enraged a city.

"I wrote that," he said of King's famous plea.

It strikes me as cruel irony that I was focused on thinking about the Rodney King trial and in particular his iconic statement on the day intruders beat and stabbed my landlords. I wish someone in this village would speak such a line, ghost-written or not, and mean it.

2 comments:

SISEPUEDE said...

Maria,
Your writing puts me there. I can touch it and take it all in. I can dream of standing there by the water's side and watching that spectacular sunset. Sending good vibes and love from Austin. Be safe! (I'm concerned about your latest posting, as I'm sure you are.)

Un abrazo,
Juan from the Statesman

Jeff said...

Maria,
I just stumbled across your blog and am enjoying catching up on your adventure. The moth story was amazing, as are you.

Jeff
Ozello Water District

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.