Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Moments in Maun

Morning. I'll do other versions of the lion kill story and the John Kata interview later, but look on the Desert & Delta Safaris blog for what I had mentioned in a posting below.

You might imagine what I am doing now that I'm back for a little while from the bush. I'm sure you're thinking it's something exciting. Nope. Tomorrow will be. I'll hop another bush plane and head east for my last few days with DDS. But for now I am eating pizza, a cheeseburger, french fries,a Kit-Kat bar (not at one sitting) and hoping to get a manicure and a pedicure during my 48 hours in town. Oh, the small pleasures.

What I am not doing: drinking red wine or Jameson's. Life in the bush provides ample opportunity for sundowner drinks, and I took advantage of every opportunity. Plus, I became an erstwhile bar tender at Xugana Island Lodge. Got quite good at gin and tonics. Shook with fear when a guest requested "a Manhattan" or "a cosmopolitan." I ran for help every time. Drinking the fancy-pants cocktails is quite different from mixing them.
Healthy living. That's what starts today.

I also woke up in the night hearing a strange animal noise. It was new to me. It sounded like a motorcycle at first, punctuated by ee-ors. Ah, yes. The sound of Maun: wall to wall donkeys. If I can't hear the lions' roar, the donkey is a poor substitute. But, then again, I acted just as frightened of them when I was walking down a Maun road in March as I did when I got close to the lions at Camp Okavango.

Next week I'll be up and running with the blog again. It's been a pleasure to hear from you who've sent emails and notes. Many thanks.

2 comments:

Liza Smith said...

Hi Maria! We haven't met yet - I'm Walter Smith's wife, Liza and as you might know we're situated in Cape Town, Gordon's Bay to be exact. A little village outside the buzz of town. I've been following your blog and just wanted to say I'm LOVING reading about your experiences!! Hope to meet you someday - I'll be in Maun for the Leroo La Tau staff party end of July. If you ever get to CPT give me a shout - you're welcome! Take care and happy traveling.... xx Liza

Anne Gilliam said...

Maria!!!!!!!!!!!
2 returned emails this morning to the SacBee had me calling there and finding out about your wondrous, life-lifting, life-altering, mind-bending adventure! I am so proud of you and your courage, and as always, am inspired by your adventurous spirit. As you may know from my sporadic emails, we're no longer Austin residents. We're in Charlottesville, Virginia now. Not quite Africa, but an adventure nonetheless.
Can't wait to read your entries. I started setting up a blog when we moved so I could "keep up", and yours has inspired me to complete to mine.
---Sent email to your new address...look out for it.

Lots of love...xoxoxoxo, Anne Gilliam

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.