Monday, December 8, 2008

What I know


What do I know? This morning I read the entries from my journal from my first journey to Botswana in July 2007, the trip that turned my life upside down. As I prepare to fly away from Botswana today, I find that the words I wrote then hold true:

I know that stillness speaks. I know that the sky can sing. I know that unity with the other is possible beyond words and recognizable by only the slightest thread in ordinary space and time. I know that culture is learned, customized like a suit of clothes, but the day may come when the suit is threadbare and no longer of use. I know that fire and water hold magnificent power and that rocks have stories to tell. And I know that the trees stand as witness and healers to the world. I know that tracks in the sand point to the animal but are not the animal, just as spiritual paths point to the truth but are not the truth. I know that dominion over nature can be only a temporary exercise. The cycle will turn, round and inside out. What is nature if not ourselves?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome home!!!!

Melanie Sill said...

Good travels, Maria.

David Holwerk said...

C'mon back.

Scott McAuley said...

Maria, thank you for taking the time and effort to write about your journey as it was happening. We are looking forward to seeing you (in L.A.? your bed awaits...) and learning of your impressions of THIS much-changed country of ours. best//S+P+G

Steve sculpts critters said...

Dominion over nature will only be temporary if we don't completely destroy it first!

Unknown said...

I have make some idea for blog please see them....
Click
Open
View

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.