Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is peace at hand?


From the time I was little, I heard the Sunday School stories about peace will come -- or a new earth will emerge -- when the lion lies down with the lamb. I'm wondering if that holds true when the impala lies down with the kitty.

This is Impy, a baby impala who lives at Antelope Park, a lion breeding program in Zimbabwe. Impy doesn't know it's an impala. She and the kitty cuddle up together for naps. Occasionally Impy wants to join guests for dinner, but her hooves slide across the concrete floors, wide apart, like a giraffe's. She slips and slides and goes kerplunk (Does that remind anyone of the movie "Bambi?") She has learned to content herself with hanging around doorways, head poked inside to see what's happening with the people, or letting kitty rest its head on her back.

My friend Kelly Swift volunteered at Antelope Park in June and July and befriended Impy and the kitty, and a host of lions. See her blog KellySwiftinAfrica.blogspot.com for amazing photos of lions stretched across her lap. When I saw Kelly in Tanzania, I asked to have this photo to show you and to spread the word that I, for one, would like to acknowledge a prophetic sign from Impy and kitty. Peace on the horizon. Why not?

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.