Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bana Ba Letsatsi goes mobile




I am happy to report that my first visitor from the United States has arrived. After traveling 41 hours, Audrey Lee from San Antonio, Texas, flew into Maun Airport only 7 minutes late on Air Botswana -- a record for Air Bots, I bet. She jumped right into the festivities, managing to stay up for a one-pot curry supper cooked on the camp fire by my neighbor, Kirk. I've told him he needs a Food Network show called, "Cooking in the Bush" or Bush Knife Chef or something....

After hardly any sleep, Audrey happily joined in the Bana Ba Letsatsi camping trip to Gweta, near the Makgadikgadi Pans National Park. The kids pitched tents, ate supper around the campfire and roasted marshmellows (Audrey and I are stumped by the spelling; that word isn't one we have to edit in newspapers very often.) She and I had what turned out to be a rather fine room in the hotel portion of Gweta Lodge, so I can't claim that we roughed it. Tomorrow I'm going to show her one of my favorite spots in Okavango Delta - Xugana Island Lodge. Then she goes off on mobile safari in Moremi Game REserve with Karibu Safaris, while I do more relief volunteering at Xugana. Should be a great week in the bush. Enjoy the photos from our games and arts/crafts in Gweta. update: Blogger is letting me down, so photos come later...

No comments:

A magical flower

A magical flower
The guide squeezes this flower and it squirts water like a water pistol

Cathy and Joe Wanzala

Cathy and Joe Wanzala
They couldn't wait to paste the Obama sticker on their car

My main man

My main man
Ernest is my trusty cab driver who blasts music as we make our way through Gabs

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style

Ted Thomas, man of intrigue and style
My friend, Ted, and his wife, Mary Ann, hosted a Safari Send-Off for me in Austin and treated me to a special mix of African music that already a UB student and a professor want to download.